As the RCP Assessment Unit enters its second year of activity the RCP is looking to consolidate the work achieved to date by the various Examining Boards which fall under the Unit’s remit by creating the exciting new role of the RCP Chief Examiner.
The RCP Chief Examiner will work alongside the RCP Assessment Team, based at RCP North in Liverpool, to provide clinical oversight and leadership in relation to the conduct of the four current assessments that fall under the remit of the Assessment Unit – the Physician Associate National Examination, the Diploma in Geriatric Medicine (DGM), the Diploma in Tropical Medicine & Hygiene (DTM&H) and the MRCP(UK) Part 2 clinical (PACES) examination.
The key responsibilities of the post holder will be:
- Setting the strategic direction of postgraduate assessment at the RCP
- Development of the Assessment Unit Steering Group as the academic and operational decision-making body for RCP assessments
- Oversight of all RCP assessments with a view to ensuring operational and academic consistency
- Oversight of governance processes for all RCP assessments
Applicants should be:
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (London), in good standing, or, on the Managed Voluntary Register of Physician Associates for a minimum of 5 years, in good standing
- Doctors: Registered with the GMC with a current licence to practise. Or Physician Associates: currently on the Managed Voluntary Register of Physician Associates active in clinical practice.
- Experienced in either development or delivery of postgraduate high stakes clinical assessments
The ideal candidate will meet the criteria above and will be passionate about postgraduate assessment across a broad range of areas and specialties. They will engage effectively with clinician colleagues and Assessment Unit staff alike to consolidate and strengthen RCP assessments and will demonstrate a clear understanding of the examination standards and future direction of assessments at the RCP.
Expressions of interest
To express interest in this role, please send the following documents to Jane Ratford, Head of the Assessment Unit, at [email protected], using ‘Chief Examiner - EOI’ in the title line of your email:
A succinct statement (1-2 pages) which:
- highlights, in relation to the role requirements described above, key features of the expertise and approach that you would bring to this role,
- describes how performance of this role would develop your professional expertise
A CV (maximum 2 pages) which demonstrates ways in which your expertise and experience match the requirements of this role
Applications should reach the RCP by midnight on 15 September 2019.
Interviews will take place on Wednesday 16 October 2019, in London. The interview panel will consist of Dr Emma Vaux, Clinical Vice President for Education and Training and Jane Ratford, Head of the Assessment Unit. For efficiency and flexibility, short-listed candidates may be interviewed via a video link.
If you have any queries please send these to Jane Ratford, Head of the Assessment Unit, [email protected].
Please note more information and documents in association with this role can be found at https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/news/recruitment-rcp-chief-examiner