- Davidson's Principles & Practice of Medicine: Boon et al.
- Kumar and Clark’s Clinical Medicine: Parveen Kumar and Michael L. Clark
- Gray's Anatomy for Students - Gray's Anatomy: A. Wayne Vogl, Richard Drake, Adam W.M. Mitchell
- Atlas of Human Anatomy: Frank H. Netter MD
- Clinically Oriented Anatomy: Keith L. Moore, Arthur F. Dalley, Anne M.R. Agur
- Neuroanatomy: Alan R. Crossman, David Neary
- Berne & Levy Principles of Physiology: Levy et al
- Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics: Walker, Whitlesea et al
- A Textbook of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics: Ritter, Lewis et al
- BNF (British National Formulary)
- CCU’s (Clinical Cases Uncovered series)
- Oxford Handbook series: General Practice, Cinical Medicine, Medical Sciences, Clinical Specialties, The Foundation Programme…
- Macleod’s Clinical Examination: Graham Douglas, Fiona Nicol, Colin Robertson
- Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking: Lynn S. Bickley
- OSCEs for Medical Students by PAs Test Volumes 1, 2 & 3.
- OSCEs at a Glance: Adrian Blundell and Richard Harrison
- Student Consult
- OSCE Umbrella
- Professor Marian Diamond’s Human Anatomy and Physiology series
- emedicine Medscape
- A Practical Guide to Clinical Medicine
Recommended iPhone/iPad Apps:
- Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine
- Neph Calc
- Med Calc
- Heme Calc
- GI Calc
- ECG Guide
Medical Equipment - The Stethoscope
The stethoscope is an essential piece of medical equipment for anyone embarking on a career in medicine. It will not only see you through your training but the vast majority of your career. It is therefore worth taking the time to research which one is best for you. It is also worth investing in a good one, to cut corners when buying such a fundamental piece of medical equipment is misguided and short-sighted.
This is not to say it will cost you the earth.
Littmann Stethoscopes remain the market leader. They receive great reviews from GPs, Nurses, Cardiologists and Medical students alike and come with a 5 year warranty! A wide range of models are on offer but the majority of students invest in the Cardiology III. This model has the advantage of being able to convert the paediatric side of the chest piece into a traditional bell by simply replacing the diaphragm with the non-chill bell sleeve (which is included with each stethoscope).
In searching for a stethoscope you are sure to stumble across electronic stethoscopes. Experts urge medical students to avoid electronic stethoscopes until they have become familiar and competent using the traditional stethoscope.
Other useful pieces of medical equipment:
- Pen torch
- Patellar hammer
- Blood pressure cuff
- Fundoscope and auroscope